Compiling Postfix with PCRE, SASL and MySQL support
Finally found some spare time to have a look at how to compile Postfix on my Mac mini. When looking around for information on configuring Postifx on the Mac I also bookmarked all the information regarding compiling Postfix. Most of the info I found was out of date or targeted older versions. So I had to combine and try out what still worked and what not.
By the way this is just a quick write down on the things I found out, it’s not a complete guide. I’m planning to write a step by step guide on how to compile and configure a proper Postfix mail server on your Mac mini.
Via some backdoor (can’t remember how I found it) located this article on AFP548.com. It’s for an older version of Postfix and OS X (panther) but it’s got some nice pointers on the stuff you have to do. You have to remember that I’m not an Unix guru and just have fumbled my own current Postfix installation into a working environment. This time it’s going to be a repeatable effort and I’m looking for all the info I can get.
I’m including PCRE into the Postfix build as well as it’s faster than regexp for contect filtering. I’m not sure if I’m going to use this but it was quite easy to do. It was as simple as downloading the source from http://www.pcre.org/, extracting, running ./configure, make and make install. Done.
Installing SASL was a bit more complex because of the compiler errors I got when trying to compile the latest release. But to cut a long story short, I got it compiled when using version 2.1.18 of the source. I’ve still got to find out which is the latest version that compiles without a problem.
Compiling Postfix was also not nuch of a problem. Just getting the latest version of the source (2.2.5 in this case) and getting the first make command working with the options needed. We wanted MySQL support (what all this effort was about) and include PCRE ad SASL. So you end up with a command looking like:
make -f Makefile.init makefiles \ CCARGS='-DUSE_SASL_AUTH -I/usr/local/include/sasl \ -DHAS_MYSQL -I/Library/Mysql/include/mysql' \ AUXLIBS='-L/usr/lib -lldap -L/usr/lib -llber -L/usr/lib -lsasl2 \ -L/Library/MySQL/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient -lz -lm'
If the above make command worked for you then issue it, followed by a make and make update command and everything should be up to date and installed. To check if we got MySQL tables in this version run the following command and look for MySQL in the output:
# postconf -m btree cidr environ hash mysql pcre proxy regexp static unix
Next step is the IMAP server and configuration but that is for another time, now I’m happy I got this done. Just taking one step at a time.